Senior Moves Process
First Things First –
- Consult to assess needs and determine the time frame
- Create action step and target dates for the process
- Contact moving company to request estimate and secure the date for move
Preparation for move –
- If client is moving to a retirement community, coordinate the move date and with the community liaison concerning anything particular that arises concerning the client’s needs and wishes
- Communicate with family members, attorneys, geriatric care managers, and anyone involved with the move.
- Sort all possessions to determine whether to Keep, Give to Family and/or Friends, Sell, Donate or Discard
- Contact charitable organizations to arrange for pick up of items to donate (obtain tax deduction receipt)
- Contact estate sale company to assess what items can be sold
- Contact shredding company if needed
- Coordinate items if needed to be shipped out of state with a local shipping company.
- Coordinate local deliveries if needed of items to be moved to family or friends.
- Coordinate all aspects of the move with moving company
- Shop for items needed for new home
- Create floor plan if needed
- Pack items in appropriate box
- Number each box and label indicating the items in box, and the destination to and from
- Create box inventory list of items for new home and/or storage unit if needed
- If move has multiple locations, create a color-coding system to ensure accuracy of deliveries
Settling in to New Home –
- Oversee the move, ensuring the movers pack items to be moved, and load truck according to efficient and logical instructions.
- Unpack and place items in agreed upon locations in new home
- Plug in the phones, lamps and set the clocks
- Make the bed
- Hang the shower curtain
- Place the clothing in appropriate closets and chest of drawers
- Organize the bathrooms according to the client’s needs
- Organize the kitchen cabinets with attention to every detail and preference that the client has communicated
- Make sure furniture is placed appropriately for aging in place
- Hang the artwork